Tips for Remodeling Your Small Kitchen for Maximum Functionality
Functionality is paramount in a busy kitchen. It doesn't matter how great your kitchen looks if it's not helping you get the job done. Luckily, we have some tips for remodeling your small kitchen to get the most out of it.
Key Kitchen Remodeling Points
- Be realistic. Match your wants and needs to your resources and come to a compromise.
- Decide who will do the work. A general contractor, you and a set of sub-contractors, or you alone.
- Devise a logical layout. Most functional kitchens utilize one of 5 designs: one-wall design, corridor design, L-shaped design, double-L-shaped design, or U-shaped design
- Get your building permits.
- Be prepared to be 'kitchenless' for a little while, because it's time for demolition.
- The framing work happens next.
- Then, it's time for plumbing, wiring, and HVAC work.
- Next, the finishing of the walls and ceilings must be done.
- The next step is laying the flooring.
- Now, you get to install your new cabinets and countertops.
- Almost there...now, you get to put in your appliances and fixtures.
- Time for an inspection!
Tips for Maximum Functionality in Your Kitchen
Utilize Transforming Furniture- Transforming furniture goes way beyond the age-old couch bed. Nowadays, kitchenettes fold out of the wall or the kitchen island.
Make a Small Kitchen Appear Larger- By removing the doors off of your cabinets or even replacing them with shelves, you can open up your kitchen and have it appear as if you've expanded the space.
Utilize a Drip-Dry Space Saver- A shelf with slats, made correctly, can be utilized as both a shelf and a dish drain. Many home stores stock these.
Brighten It Up- Have a skylight installed or just some task lighting. Utilize reflective surfaces like ceramic subway tile or glass or stone mosaic tile.
Maximize Functional Space- A custom-built cutting board that fits into your sink lets you use that as more countertop space.
Use Your Walls to the Max- Hanging racks of all kinds are available at home stores, so hang everything you can. This will create more functional counter space. We, here at Kitchen Tune-Up, can also make custom cubby spaces for you.
Expand into the Next Room- We can also build shelf or cabinet space on the back side of your cabinets that face into the next room.
Add Finishing Touches to Show it is Your Space- Lay down a rug that is totally you. Buy magnets for the refrigerator that reflect your personality. Run a speaker into the kitchen, so that you can jam out while you slice vegetables.
Regardless of the size of your kitchen, our expert team at kitchen tune-up has a unique solution for You! Contact us today for a free in-home consultation!